Sunday, May 3, 2009

Service

Yesterday in church our pastor spoke on what it means to answer God's call and minister for Him. This a call that each and every person receives - God has a job or a place for everyone. Some are called to small roles, some are called to big roles, but everyone is called. How do we respond when we are called? Some respond with "No thanks, I'm too busy" or "I'm too good for that role, I want something bigger" or "I can't do that!" and the rest respond with "yes Lord, send me".

I want to be in the "Yes Lord, send me" group, no matter what He asks me to do. As Pastor H pointed out yesterday, serving God is a privilege, an honour, not a right. It does not make God owe me one just because I served where He called. Too many times we do the work God asks of us and then go around feeling like we deserve more from God than we get. I don't deserve any good thing, but God gives me good things because He loves me.

16Don't be fooled, my dear friends.
17
Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father
who created all the lights in the heavens.
He is always the same and never makes dark shadows by changing.
18
He wanted us to be his own special people,
and so he sent the true message to give us new birth.
James 1:17 (Contemporary English Version)

Having a purpose, a goal and a job is a good thing and is a gift. God has given me a calling and for that I am grateful, thankful that He has chosen me to help Him do His work. How do you react when God calls you and gives you a purpose?

No comments: