Monday, June 29, 2009

Being Committed...

There is a saying, taught at Choices, that says "be committed to do what it takes to get what you want". It's a great saying and one I've been giving much thought to lately.

It's great to say "I'm committed to doing what it takes to get what I want", but it doesn't amount to much if you don't know what you want! I've been committed to doing what it takes, but recently had to sit down and figure out what that meant for me. Honestly, I didn't really know what I wanted, where I was going. I've been coasting along, doing what it takes to survive, but the truth is I don't want to just survive! I want to thrive, to succeed, to grow, to do more and be more....

I've been reading a couple of books by Ben Carson and have felt myself challenged to figure out what it is I want in life, to put in writing what I want to accomplish and how I want to live. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my life and since attending Choices I have rediscovered dreams I had let go of or buried many years ago and uncovered new ones that I hadn't dared to consider, but I had not taken that step beyond dreaming to actually making a plan to realize those dreams.

So, I set goals. I figured out what it would take to meet those goals and then I asked myself the question "am I willing to commit to doing THIS in order to have THAT?" I got specific with myself.

I am willing to commit to doing what it takes to have what I want. I just had to work it backwards so I knew what I wanted and how to get it.

What about you? What do you want? Do you know what it will take to get it? Are you willing to commit to doing that or is it too far beyond your reach, too much of a leap? Do you need to take baby steps, re-evaluating where you are in life and how much you are capable of doing until you can achieve the larger goal at the end? Do you need inspiration? I encourage and even challenge you to read the books by Ben Carson. See how he got where he is and be inspired to be the best you can be!

No comments: